Monday, June 25, 2012

Time for a little R & R

Today is Monday and we're back in Rome. Dad's back at work and I'm back, well I guess still being a tourist. Almost all museums in Rome are closed on Monday and those that aren't are incredibly busy so I decided not to do too much today. I slept in a little (it seems I've more or less adjusted to the time change finally) then headed down to the market. On the way is a shop that sells fresh pasta, and from what Dad's been told, it's one of the best in Rome. He'd recommended the ravioli filled with lemon and ricotta cheese, so I picked up just enough of those for my lunch. My Italian greetings (and ability to read off signs) have gotten good enough people tend to assume I speak more Italian than I do. Tragically, the conversation comes to a halt shortly after "good morning". After successfully communicating with the pasta woman, I made my way to the market. I'd been hoping to pick up some fresh basil and parsley, along with garlic to go with tomatoes in the fridge and some rocket lettuce for a salad. I didn't see any herbs, so I decided I'd just go without. As I was paying, the man added a handful of fresh parsley and basil to my bag, on the house. It was like he read my mind!


Before: my lemon ravioli, rocket lettuce, some cherries and plums, parsley and basil, and garlic


After: I tossed the rocket lettuce with some balsamic I found on the counter and what can only be described as a truly amazing olive oil, and topped it with some shaved pecorino romano. I made a simple sauce for the ravioli with minced garlic, chopped tomato, chiffonade basil and olive oil. I can't believe how good the lemon ravioli are! Perfect for a summer lunch. 

I decided to take advantage of the Monday closures to get some laundry done and I was mildly concerned the washer was about to take off. I think I've heard quieter jumbo jets. I also figured I should really work on my lecture I'm giving in Poland because, alas, it will not right it's self. I took the facade of the Natural History Museum in Paris as a sign I should really stop procrastinating. 

(My lecture is on zooarchaeology)

No comments:

Post a Comment